Incentivizing participation in online forums for educationEI
We present a game-theoretic model for online forums for education, where students in a class can post questions to the forum and seek responses from the instructor or other students in the class. We first show that our model predicts the anecdotally observed phenomenon that students' participation in a forum is non-monotone in the instructor's response rate to questions: if the instructor responds at too high a rate students do not respond to their peers' questions, whereas an almost-absent instructor induces very little participation...更多
- 2Gooi Adrian C C, Sommerfeld Connor S. Medical school 2.0: How we developed a student-generated question bank using small group learning.Medical teacher, pp. 1-5, 2014.
- 3Sheaffer Elizabeth A, Addo Richard T. Pharmacy student performance on constructed-response versus selected-response calculations questions.American journal of pharmaceutical education, pp. 6-6, 2013.
- 5Daniel Zingaro, Leo Porter. Tracking Student Learning from Class to Exam using Isomorphic Questions.SIGCSE, pp. 356-361, 2015.
- 6Jeffrey R. Stowell, Use of clickers vs. mobile devices for classroom polling.Computers & Education, pp. 329-334, 2015.
- 7Eni Mustafaraj, Jessica Bu. The Visible and Invisible in a MOOC Discussion Forum.L@S, pp. 351-354, 2015.
- 8Margaret Mazzolini, Sarah Maddison. When to jump in: The role of the instructor in online discussion forums.Computers & Education, pp. 193-213, 2007.
- 11Chih-Kai Chang, An architectural system for retrieving messages to respond dangling questions in learning forum.Computers & Education, pp. 51-64, 2002.
- 13Erica Suchman, Kay Uchiyama, Ralph Smith, Kim Bender. Evaluating the impact of a classroom response system in a microbiology course.Microbiology education, pp. 3-11, 2006.
- 14Suresh Kalathur, An Object-Oriented Framework for Predicting Student Competency Level in an Incoming Class.Software Engineering Research and Practice, pp. 179-183, 2006.
- 15Bryan W. Griffin, Instructor Reputation and Student Ratings of Instruction.Contemporary Educational Psychology, pp. 534-552, 2001.
- 16Margaret Mazzolini, Sarah Maddison. Sage, guide or ghost? The effect of instructor intervention on student participation in online discussion forums.Computers & Education, pp. 237-253, 2003.
- 18Heejung An, Sunghee Shin, Keol Lim. The effects of different instructor facilitation approaches on students' interactions during asynchronous online discussions.Computers & Education, pp. 749-760, 2009.
- 19James T. Colbert, Joanne K. Olson, Michael P. Clough. Using the Web to Encourage Student-generated Questions in Large-Format Introductory Biology Classes.Cbe-life Sciences Education, pp. 42-48, 2007.
EC, pp. 525-542, 2013.